bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Describe person attempting but failing to suppress a laugh There is a scene where a character is trying to be level-headed and professional. However, something happens that is funny to him. He - selfpublishingguru.com

10.05% popularity

There is a scene where a character is trying to be level-headed and professional. However, something happens that is funny to him. He lets out a satisfied chuckle but tries with partial success to hold it in as it is not entirely appropriate. The whole process is mostly subconscious. The viewpoint in the scene is a different character.
How can I describe that concisely?
I tried:

He stifled a satisfied chuckle.
He suppressed a satisfied chuckle.

but I'm not convinced that sounds good, or that it means exactly what I intend. What are some other options?

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ravi5107385

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

One way is trough dialogue.

"How unfortunate for all involved."

"Was... did you just smirk?"

"I wouldn't... dream of it."

"Why're you turning your back on me. Your shoulder are shaking. Oliver. Oliver!"

"I am. Simply enjoying the view. Yes."

"Damn you Oliver, this isn't funny!" I yelled at him, beating my fists over his back while his shoulders shook.

Or you can do it trough internal monologue.

I narrowed my eyes and stared down Oliver. Was. Was that a smirk just now. His face was the picture of professionality, but just a moment ago I could have sworn...

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

His eyes were bright and laughing above tight, withholding lips.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Here's my try:

He glanced up from the fire to see if Adeline looked inspired, or was at least paying attention, but he was only faced with a red Adeline trying hard to suppress her laughter, then failing when the King made eye contact with her.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If you are in the student's viewpoint, here are some possibilities:

Write his opinions about:

what's so funny
what's so satisfying
what makes chuckling inappropriate

Say something like:

He stifled a chuckle.

He tried to stifle a chuckle.

He snorted.

Write whatever he notices about any noise or expression he makes.
Write his reaction to whatever he notices

thoughts and emotions about whether the chuckle leaked
behaviors to cover it up

Describe the professor's reaction to the stifled chuckle, which would indicate how successful the viewpoint character was in stifling it.

Some of this won't fit if the whole incident is truly subconscious. But then, if it's subconscious, you can't mention it from his viewpoint.

The thing you can do even if it's subconscious is describe the professor's reaction. This could trigger the student to realize that he just chuckled. Then you could write his reaction to that realization.

Load Full (0)