bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to call sub-genre of my fantasy? For my own needs I write fantasy. But at this time I am not sure what genre it is. Base of that world is probably classic fantasy, because there are: - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

For my own needs I write fantasy. But at this time I am not sure what genre it is.

Base of that world is probably classic fantasy, because there are:

unicorns
dragons
gods
magic
lycanthrops
other extremely powerful beings

But I also placed there some very modern things like (and some more I still did not used)

fluorescent tubes
nuclear reactors
nuclear bombs

but they are very improved to be magic (not in definition Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic1). For example local version of fluorescent tubes are emiting cold light, they have similar shape - but their construction is simplified (to use magic as source of energy).

1 - only one using of this A.C.Clarke's law is cybernetic visitor from else world; there Icefingers (healer, scientist and former soldier) will use variation of this law to explain being of that visitor.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angie602

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

If you are using actual fluorescent lights and nuclear energy and so forth, or fluorescent lights which have been slightly improved or altered by magic but are essentially the same technology, this is generally called urban fantasy. While "urban" means "city," in this context it means fantasy or magical elements in modern society. The setting can be a city, town, or country.

If you are using fairy dust inside a long tube for a light bulb, such that it is entirely magical, that's just fantasy in a contemporary setting.

Load Full (0)