bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Memoir-style fantasy fiction I am thinking about writing a work on fantasy fiction (casually, mostly for my own entertainment). Would the style of a memoir be suitable? More specifically, the writing - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This style has been used in fantasy novels and series before to a extent. Mostly written by either a third party or as a really older version of the main or side characters.

Some of the best examples of this are -

The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox by Barry Hughart (They are written from Number Ten Ox's POV at he records the adventures at some later and undated point in time)
Duncton Chronicles by William Horwood (Points of the story are written by a scribe recalling the events)
A Natural History of Dragons ((Memoir by Lady Trent) by Marie Brennan (Written from the POV of Lady Trent)

So it is a well used style if only to a degree...

As long as the writing is good then matter of keeping the interest of your readers isn't an issue (when going into a series it is a for gone collusion that the main guys will be with you until the last book (except if the series is GoT))

As for talking bout magic... Have the character explain himself, like one does when talking things out to make sense to oneself. This is his recording of events... have him say "Little did I know so and so worked like so at the time but if I had so and so event would not have happened" or something like that.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best