bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I've had a related discussion with my wife two weeks ago about whether there's anything significant about men writing a female protagonist and women writing a male protagonist. For example, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I've had a related discussion with my wife two weeks ago about whether there's anything significant about men writing a female protagonist and women writing a male protagonist. For example, Robin Hobb writing about FitzChivalry, or Witi Ihimaera writing about Paikea.

In the end, my wife and I concluded together that the protagonist's gender is really only a small part of what makes a reader identify or empathize with the protagonist.

The larger part that causes the reader to engage with the protagonist is how similarly or dissimilarly the protagonist's experiences and objectives match the readers own life experiences and objectives. We found that my wife's upbringing and my own upbringing have lead us to enjoy and desire different qualities in our protagonists.

Also, in some cases, a secondary character induces a sense of identity and empathy that may also not align by gender. For example, my daughter connects more with Draco Malfoy over Hermione Granger. Go figure.

Here's a secret for you. If there were an article that stated, "that men can identify and empathize with male as well as female protagonists, while women identify better with female protagonists", and if your personal experiences and objectives align with this statement, then you may be much more likely to consider the article to be truth.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Megan928

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best