bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Novel set in Forgotten Realms universe My question regards using the forgotten realms setting for writing a novel. I'll explain. My original intention was to request permission to write a novel - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

If you intend to publish for free, just do it. It falls under fanfiction clause. Technically illegal, hardly ever fought. The work improves strength of the franchise, solidifies the fandom, fighting it would be bad PR - so copyright owners simply let it be.

If you intend to publish commercially, disregard "not accepting unsolicited submissions for novels". You don't want them to publish it anyway; it doesn't apply to your case. What you want, is to contact their legal department, and ask about purchasing a license for using the franchise for the purpose of self-publishing the novel.

Be ready to shell out a... pretty much arbitrary amount of cash they will quote you - it may be free, it may be a token amount, it may be a percentage, or it may be a barrier sum intended to deter you if they want to keep a tight hold on the franchise and not allow any third-party "paraphernalia". Nevertheless, make sure you aren't appearing as a bothersome fan looking for freeloading on their IP. You are a businessperson, a paying customer, willing to buy their product - specifically, a limited use of rights on their intellectual property. You aren't "asking permission to extend their world". You are making a purchase of a product they have.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bryan361

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best