bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to make a letter interesting? I have a question regarding the art of letter writing. I believe in the old-fashioned way of maintaining pen friendships (not necessarily a relationship, but - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think writing a letter is similar to conducting a conversation. You're right to be concerned about good story-telling, as it is an essential element of communicating. Don't give up on it. The danger is to list events, much in the same manner as headline news. It is more interesting to colour the information in with a few personal details. Your personal details don't have to be too editorial or intellectual to be appealing. They don't even have to be about you. There are more basic ways to relate to your pen-pal. Use the knowledge you have of their interests and personality in order to craft a unique response.

A few ideas for your example:
Perhaps the person is upset their flight was cancelled. You might recount an experience you had yourself with a cancelled flight, or the general inconveniences of travelling on the weekends (as they're about to do). You could branch out a bit further, and talk about a recent trip you or a friend of yours took.

Travel is a common experience and a common source of exasperation, so it shouldn't be too hard to commiserate with your pen-pal. In so doing, you'll connect with them on a deeper level than if you were to merely acknowledge the news of their cancelled flight, and you might even give them some useful advice about what to expect when they travel on Saturday.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angela458

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best