bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is killing a character to further the plot necessarily a bad thing? I've heard quite a few complaints about character deaths being used to further the plot. They say it's boring and overdone - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I'd guess this isn't a romance novel :) As you've said, the character's death sets events in motion that wouldn't have happened otherwise. You're giving your other characters the opportunity to react to that; you're giving yourself plenty of opportunity for other sudden changes (shifting of allegiances, strong characters giving up, weak characters finding strength, revelation of treachery...without knowing the details I can't really guess the scope, but it's there).

"The main character...undergoes great change."

As long as it doesn't seem too premeditated - it should come as an unwelcome surprise to everyone, including the reader - in my opinion, that the main character undergoes great change is enough of a reason to justify it. The only question I'd have is how far into the work it happens, but that's a bit off the topic.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best