bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When writing Sci-Fi whats a good way to determine the year? I'm having trouble deciding what year I want my Novella to take place. How do other Sci-Fi writers make up what year it is in - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Its actually a very subjective and artistic question. I would take tech, emotional attachment and the audience into account.

Tech.
What tech is there and how forward thinking is your futurist mind?
How revolutionary is the tech and how long would you estimate science to get there?

Emotional attachment
What historical events are woven or known about in your world?
Does it relate to the real world?
How many generations does it take before the emotion of the past events lose their attachment to that future present?
Ww2 can feel like a moment ago or a lifetime away depending on the emotional attachment by the characters.

Audience
The reader can be surprised in your story. Sometimes it can leave the reader with a pleasant surprise or it can be negative if they do not believe. Your time can be more real if its close and more fantasy the further away.
There are a lot of examples of real tangible stories written for a fantasy future or a real story written for the near future.
Does the audience want near or far?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Vandalay250

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best