bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can I use subsections in place of lists Is it ok to use subsections in place of lists? Consider the following: %---------------------------------------------------- My plans %(section starts here) - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Is it ok to use subsections in place of lists? Consider the following:

%----------------------------------------------------

My plans %(section starts here)

abcdefgh ijkl..... Following are my specific plans:

1.1 Plan1

1.2 Plan 2..............

%-----------------------------------------------------------

I need to keep the section / subsection format. However, I feel that with the colon introduced before, the subsections are serving more as a list, rather typical subsections. Should I do away with the colon and write a full sentence like " I will describe my specific plans in the following paragraphs" ?
Hope this is the right community to ask this sort of question.
Thanks,

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

How about:

1. My plans %(section starts here)

abcdefgh ijkl..... In the sections below I'll go into my specific plans.

1.1. Plan1

1.2. Plan 2..............

I.e. remove the colon.

It's not at all strange to assume one part of the text points to later parts. I think it's more of an implicit expectation from a reader of both fiction and non-fiction that the earlier parts and the later parts are tied together somehow.

Other alternatives:

1. My plans

Plans are good for you. You should have at least one at any given moment. When I was a kid I wanted to go to the moon, now I've evolved my plans some.

1.1. Go to business school

Going to business school will be .....

Or:

1. My plans

1.1. Go to business school

Going to business school will be .....

As long as there's text after the header, you should probably use sections rather than lists. But if it's just a list of your plans, a paragraph each, then a list might be more appropriate.

My plans:

I want to go to business school to feel the pulse of the economy.
I want to learn to tango to feel the pulse of life!

If you want a list with a header, I suggest an introduction about plans somehow. Maybe through an anecdote, or your general thoughts about plans, or even an expansion on your most important plan.

1. My plans

My most important plan will always be to live a meaningful life. Every other plan I make is an attempt to fulfill this plan.

I want to go to business school to feel the pulse of the economy.
I want to learn to tango to feel the pulse of life!

Load Full (0)