bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to move back to main section after finishing a sub-section I am writing a paper but I don't know how to move back to the main section after I'm done writing a sub-section, like this: - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I am writing a paper but I don't know how to move back to the main section after I'm done writing a sub-section, like this:

1.1 Main section
1.1.1 subsection 1
1.1.2 subsection 2

As I write long subsections I don't how can I make readers understand that we are back in the Main section. Two pages goes by on subsections but then I want to do a proper finish by ending the main section after those 2 subsections but I don't know how to indicate this without pointing it out.

Basically I want to end it like this:

1.1 Main section (starting)
1.1.1 Sub section 1
..writing...
1.1.2 Sub section 2
..writing...
*and then back to Main section 1.1*
1.1 Main section (ending)

How can I make that proper ending of Main Section after writing subsections?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jennifer354

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Don't think of it as moving back to the main section. Instead, create a new subsection.

1.1.3 subsection 3

Or create a section called Conclusion. Better yet, make the part you call the main section into an introduction. In other words, make everything equal in the hierarchy. It makes it a lot easier.

I've used basic numbering in the below outline. If it doesn't work for you, change it. This is merely an example. I have no way of knowing if this is the entirety of your essay or just a piece of it. So I don't know what other numbers there may be. If it's all of it, I would say, don't number everything "1" and go from there. Change the top level numbers too.

Introduction
Section 1
Section 2
Conclusion

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Indentations.

1.1 Main section (starting)
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

1.1.1 Sub section 1

1.1.2 Sub section 2

1.1.1.a.

1.1 Main section (ending)

This makes it very easy to follow. Granted, if you have too many subsections you're going to have a left margin which is half the page, but that's an organizational issue.

If you have access to header/footer text, you can also put 1.1.2 Ri meliora dies in the header, so the reader can look up and see what section the copy is in. Transitional copy like "As noted in § 1.1.1 above..." certainly won't hurt either.

Load Full (0)