bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How do I gain experience in editing? After years of critiquing fiction as a hobby, I feel like I've gained some skill at editing. I'm now wondering how I can try my hand at actually editing - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

After years of critiquing fiction as a hobby, I feel like I've gained some skill at editing. I'm now wondering how I can try my hand at actually editing fiction.

While I've got a decent sense of how one starts out as a writer, I have no idea how one starts out as an editor. Editing seems to require a venue to edit for, and writers submitting publishable stories.

Is there a typical development path for editors? Where do I begin? And how do I gain actual, hands-on experience?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @XinRu607

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Scribophile.com is more for writers and mutual critiquing, but there are forums where you might mention that you are looking to do edits. This wouldn't work for paid gigs, I believe, because I don't think that's allowed on the site, but, if you were willing to do freebies or an exchange of work (to maybe get a feel for editing vs critiquing) it would be a reasonable place.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There's a few sites where you can offer your services. Check out Fiverr.com and upwork.com. I've worked with several editors on Upwork before.

Also look for local writers groups. Although, that would be more for practice then for contract work. A good resource for finding local groups is meetup.com

Load Full (0)