bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How do I convey messages that are clear, but unspoken? So much of communication is nonverbal - facial expressions, body language. Often, it's entirely clear what somebody is thinking and conveying - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

So much of communication is nonverbal - facial expressions, body language. Often, it's entirely clear what somebody is thinking and conveying even if they aren't saying a word.

How can I portray this in fiction?

These can be such powerful moments (and, in TV and film, often are). But all the "easy options" I know seem to resort to telling the message instead of showing the emotion:

Literally convert the nonverbal message into a verbal one:

The expression on her face said "Get out now."

Describe the nonverbal action in a way that just spells the emotion and message out for the reader:

She didn't say anything, only gazed at me pleadingly.

Use established cliches that we already have strong associations for, and know precisely what they're meant to convey:

"Do you want to--" I began, but Maria was already rolling her eyes at me.

or

Just like every time Corrington dropped by to visit, Nate was grinding his teeth.

These are fine some of the time. But there are times when I want to have wordless communication, and to do it well, vividly, engrossing the reader in the moment and not resorting to telling.

How can I do that?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cody1607638

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

"The thousand yard stare. I was standing right in front of him but I might as well have an oak."

In other words tell the story from your point of view(1st person) thus "saying" nothing but what is on people's minds.

Can be used to great effect when words are in fact spoken. (Drama)

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Hmm, seems to me that you've summarized the options pretty well:

(a) You can describe the physical action and rely on the reader to understand what it means. "She stared at me and frowned."

(b) You can have the narrator explain the meaning. "'Hey George, it's 5:00, workday is over', I said. And he looked at me, and I could tell by the look in his eyes that he wanted to go to Harry's Donut Shop and order a Boston creme donut and a cup of coffee with hazelnut creamer, and sip it slowly while he read a novel, probably that new novel by Tom Clancy. But it was clear from the set of his jaw that he knew he couldn't, and that he'd have to go straight home, where his wife would probably tell him that the dishwasher was broken again and he'd have to fix it." (Well, okay, maybe you can't tell THAT much from non-verbal communication.)

(c) You can clarify the meaning of a non-verbal communication by other character's reactions. Like, "Sally stared at George. 'Hey,' George said, 'I'm sorry. I didn't realize it would make you this angry.'" Now we know it's an angry stare and not a puzzled stare, etc.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what other options there are. You either have the narrator explain, have a character explain it, or no one explains it and it's up to the reader to figure it out. I don't think there's some other magic solution.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If you have a (first or third person) limited perspective, you could show the POV character's emotional state through the descriptive details she considers noteworthy.

Perhaps one of the most brilliantly executed examples I can recall for this would be the (French) poem "Déjeuner du matin" by Jacques Prévert. It begins:

He poured the coffee Into the cup He put the milk Into the
cup of coffee He put the sugar Into the coffee with milk
With a small spoon He churned He drank the coffee And he
put down the cup Without any word to me

We know that the unnamed "he" is important to our POV character because of the detailed focus she holds on his actions. And while we do not know why, we know she is separated from him through his inactions, neither looking at her nor speaking to her.

There is not a single line of dialogue, but we feel her pain. And at the end, yes, she cries, which may be cliché, but by that point you're ready to cry with her.

Load Full (0)