bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Which techniques can I use to become a better editor when editing my own writing? I'm looking to improve my ability to edit and correct my own writing. What are some techniques I can use - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Here are the four steps I follow when reviewing my work:

1. Read it backwards. Start at the last sentence in your piece and continue by reading the preceding sentences all the way back up to the beginning of your piece. You'll notice errors more easily because reading it out of order prevents your brain from filling in the gaps.

2. Read it out loud. This one speaks for itself. You'll be able to quickly spot issues with word choice and faulty sentence structures.

3. Read it in print. Most of us write and edit on our computers, and we get used to what our copy looks like on screen. Reading it printed on paper will give you a fresh look at your work.

4. Read it later. Put it aside and let your thoughts shift to something else. When you come back, you'll look at it with fresh eyes. The length of time depends on the size and deadline of your project. For magazine articles, I try to give myself a day's break.

These tips are based off of an article I read years ago, probably in Copyediting newsletter.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @XinRu607

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best