logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Is writing a novel about a song considered plagiarism? I am interested in writing a novel about a song from a band. It will have the exact same plot but different names of the characters.

Cofer669 @Cofer669

Posted in: #Copyright #Fiction #Lyrics

I am interested in writing a novel about a song from a band. It will have the exact same plot but different names of the characters. Is this considered plagiarism? The idea of the song and my book are exactly the same.

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Speyer920

Speyer920 @Speyer920

Don't forget about trademark law! Disney can't copyright the idea of a talking mouse, but you will get sued for infringement if you appropriate their trademark, which could be an image of a mouse that has white gloves or a mouse that is named Mickey, for example.

Remember that Apple Records and Apple Computer had a tussle over trademarks.

So, while you may be safe in using ideas from a song, you might be infringing on trademarks if you use specific names or phrases. Although, lots of trademarks are not as common among bands as they are in commercial companies.

Trademark law can be as tricky as copyright. You an find a summary at the the Unites States Patent and Trademark office:
www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/documents/BasicFacts.pdf

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme