logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : How do you create interesting background and ambiance for your fictional work? A background is a very critical aspect of your fiction story/novel and can easily make or break it. For instance,

Moriarity138 @Moriarity138

Posted in: #Plot #Subplot

A background is a very critical aspect of your fiction story/novel and can easily make or break it.

For instance, Dan Brown's famous novel, Da Vinci Code was all about the backgrounds. The mysterious properties of the number phi (which are actually mysterious), the interesting historical events surrounding the Knights Templar, Roman Emperor Constantine, Jesus Christ, Mary Magdalene, etc. was what made the novel ultimately famous and extraordinarily popular. The actual plots and events surrounding Robert Langdon were just circumstantial and a result of the usual plotting process that could be typical of almost any other novel.

Another example where the background and ambiance shines is Harry Potter - A magical school for prodigal children with extraordinary gifts and a whole new world surrounding that! Though, Rowling had to invent a lot of things from scratch as opposed to Brown, who just modified the actual historical facts a bit to make them more interesting to the readers.

In any case, how do you come up with such backgrounds for your novel? If you were to write a novel (be it historical or pure sci-fi), what all do you research and how do you shape that research into backgrounds and ambiance that should be an interesting/fascinating read for your readers?

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Turnbaugh521

Turnbaugh521 @Turnbaugh521

In any case, how do you come up with such backgrounds for your novel? If you were to write a novel (be it historical or pure sci-fi), what all do you research and how do you shape that research into backgrounds and ambiance that should be an interesting/fascinating read for your readers?

How do you come up with your ideas is entirely up to you. I write fantasy, set in made-up medieval secondary world, but I do research real history of the similar time period and geography, pick out what interests me and what I consider cool and unusual, deconstruct and re-use it.

The settings and backstory should work for your narrative. No matter how fascinating your world (whether it is real or imagined) is, if you don't have a compelling story, set over that backdrop, you have nothing to write about.

Everyone has their own way of doing research, and there is no single right way to do so. The Internet makes research much faster—one just have to check your sources.

There is a wrong way, however, which is NOT to do research at all...

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme