bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Are there copyright concerns writing about fantasy elements other authors have used? I am wondering if there are any copyright concerns when writing about elves, dwarfs, wizards, clerics and the - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I am wondering if there are any copyright concerns when writing about elves, dwarfs, wizards, clerics and the like? How do I write high fantasy without stepping on the toes of Tolkien or Forgotten Realms?
I am noticing that many people include these similar elements, from Discworld to Eragon, so I am assuming the general subject matter, being based in myths and legends, is open game.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Nimeshi163

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Try to be original!

I mean, assuming that you are trying to write something other than mediocre derivative works.

Yes, it is legal, but that doesn’t mean you have to use them.

Although JK Rowling showed us that you could write brilliant novels re-using worn out concepts and ideas, many readers are sick and tired of the same formulaic re-hashed elves, dwarves….

Start by reading more extensively about the genre. Asking “is it legal?” shows that you haven’t read the myriad of fantasy books containing those elements.

Also, you might find out that your brilliant and original ideas about “High Fantasy, along with some sci-fi, and parody” have been exhaustingly written about by a few dozen writers.

Load Full (0)