bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Stop thinking own work is stupid Servus, I once again started wondering what might be the problem that keeps me from finishing most of my novels. To compare, there are two novels about 400 - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think you are trying to do too much in each step of the writing.
Writing (or any art) in not a single process, it takes different skills to produce a work.
I see that you are trying to produce something "good". But you can't create something "good" while you are judging it in order to "improve" it. Something that can be "improved" is by definition not yet "good".
Okay let me get rid of these semantics. Here is my process.
The First Draft
featuring "The Author"
When I write a First Draft I try to get the words and ideas out as fast as possible. I even try to leave the spelling errors, as long I as understand the word. I normally fail and [backspace][backspace] retype. Some writers do this first draft in long-hand with pen and paper.
The First Draft is holy. It is an infant. It will have problems. I don't care what those problems are until the first draft is complete. My creative self is in charge, I call him The Author. I write things like {{does a spectacular gymnastic move to disarm the ninja}} when I find myself getting bogged down in the action. I've put {{this seems totally against her character!}} and moved on. Notes to myself are always enclosed in {{}}.
I don't judge the quality of the writing. If I find myself judging, I gently remind myself "not yet, that is the next step."
Nothing gets in the way of producing that day's word count.
800 words per day.
I stop when I've written at least that many words.
I don't go to sleep unless I've written at least that many words (on a writing day).
The Polish
featuring "The Judge"
I print out my manuscript double spaced, one side per page, 2.54cm margins. Occasionally I will polish on screen. Rarely because it is very bad for the step after this.
I go through the manuscript judging it. My internal self is called The Judge who is a fussy editor. But he is a consistent and structured editor. He asks questions like:

does each character have their own voice?
does each character stay in character?
does this match my hero's journey?
how should this fight scene play out?
is this a plot hole?
is this character really needed or should the role be filled by someone else?
who's story is this?
If our hero is the girl, why is her brother doing all the fighting?

This process gives my inner Judge freedom to complain and rant. It means he knows he will get his chance after the writing.
I hand-write any answers and all these questions on the manuscript. I also flag typos and grammatical kludges.
Second Draft
featuring "the Author"
I take my marked up manuscript and start retyping from scratch with the Author in charge. Note, I do not copy and paste from the original file.
This is important to separate the Judge from the Author. The Judge cannot create, he can only improve. The Author cannot improve he just creates.
I type again. If there are pages and pages without change that means the Author created and the Judge approved. If every page has changes, that's okay too. The Author loves creating fixes to problems.
If the Judge shows up while I'm typing I politely tell him that it's not his turn yet and then I remind the Author to keep going.
The Author completes the second draft.
Second Polish/Copy edit
featuring "The Judge"
The Judge now gets a chance to edit the manuscript. If it's close to complete, this may just be a copy edit for spelling and grammar. Again I print it out with space for notes.
I normally allow at least 3 drafts and 3 polishes.
The final step is always a copy edit, spell check, grammar check, typo (your/you're) check.
Try separating writing from editing and see how that feels.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Steve161

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best