bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How much outlining is needed? I am working on a series of novels and it didn't take long into writing the first one that I realized the need to do some more outlining. My question is how - selfpublishingguru.com

10.05% popularity

I am working on a series of novels and it didn't take long into writing the first one that I realized the need to do some more outlining.

My question is how complete does my outline need to be before I start writing?

I've got my first two novels outlined pretty well and just rough outlines of the next 3. The first novel does have a few minor gaps in my outline but I'm wondering if I should deal with those when they come up in the writing or complete the outline before starting.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

It depends on the series. Planning is definitely important, but it's important to be flexible. Your characters will always be capable of leading you down strange and unexpected paths: that's what makes them realistic and believable.

If you have certain things that NEED to happen, map those out - and the events that lead up to them.

Planning your story in-depth allows you to foreshadow future events. It can also make you excited to write future books and keep up the writing momentum.

Genre also plays a part - it's far more important to plan out a crime, fantasy, or scifi series with lots of world building involved than it is a romance or literary series.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There is no one answer to this because everyone writes differently. Some people have to outline every beat in every scene; some are complete pantsers. Every book is different too; some stories need a lot of outlining and some fall into place with broad strokes. Move forward, and if you're finding yourself bogged down or meandering, back up and try some outlining to see if it helps get you unstuck.

Load Full (0)