bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is there a special software for writers? Whenever I attempt to write something, I do it in a common word processor (like Microsoft Word), but I was wondering if there is a special software - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I've tried many of the things mentioned above, but they never really worked for me. I have a tendency to get distracted by the shiny. So, when writing at my computer instead of with my fountain pens or typewriter, I use Pyroom.

Pyroom is a free, open source editor with no bells and whistles. It runs in fullscreen mode only, providing you with an eye-strain easing green box of text on a black background. The colors, box dimensions, font, and autosave behavior are configurable, and that's it.

I use Freemind (also free and open source) to manage my notes. Keeping them on separate desktops, I can shift back and forth as needed without getting distracted when I'm writing in Pyroom.

I write in Markdown, because it's easy to deal with in plain text mode and does not distract me from my writing. I put together a script to translate from Markdown directly to LaTeX for when HTML isn't my target output, and may add other formats down the road. I do use Markdown Extras to get support for footnotes, fenced code blocks, definition lists, etc.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best