bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How much falling action can follow the climax? I'm writing an action/adventure in the same genre as Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider. I've reached the climax, where the heroes have saved their friend - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I'm writing an action/adventure in the same genre as Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider. I've reached the climax, where the heroes have saved their friend from death at the last moment, and the cave/tomb is about to collapse around them. Now, I have a dilemma.

I currently have a scene after this where they escape. The midboss from before is back for one last fight, and they battle above a rickety old bridge, with a literal cliff hanger before the heroes escape to the surface. But that feels like I've put something mediocre after a stunning climax.

Alternatively, I can brush the escape aside and cut to them making it out just before the rocks fall, and pivot right into the resolution; or I can do something in the middle, where the escape is exciting but they don't fight a villain.

How do I know when to stop the action? The story isn't done, but the remainder can't compete with the climax. It almost feels like a required dangling bit of story, which feels unpleasant. How much falling action can I have before it starts to drag on?

Or, put another way, would the reader feel cheated if the scene cuts to the heroes escaping the dangerous underground with the friend they've saved?

EDIT: I know I can have story follow the climax for the purposes of tying off loose ends, mending relationships, etc. What I want to know is if there's room for action after an action-y climax: in this example, whether it would be underwhelming to show an escape from the underground temple after defeating the big boss.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray831

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

You need enough post climax action to resolve the major outstanding issues, and "close the loops." The climax only tells you that the story will end well (or not). You don't want to leave the reader "hanging" regarding other matters. You want to outline how your characters live happily ever after (or not).

In my writings, I typically have the climax at the end of the second-to-last chapter, or the beginning of the last, so that there is a chapter (more or less) of "post climax."

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Ok...So here's my two cents...If I were to honestly give an opinion...as an avid reader...I would not mind the additional scene after the scintillating climax if...and this is a big if...it helps me gain closure with the character(s), tying up the loose ends...be it good or bad. If, however, you are only adding the scene because it is glitzy then I would advise against it.

For e.g. as I stated in the comments above, the whole "Scouring of the Shire" arc from LOTR felt very boring and I barely got through...it however helped me see how the war affected the other far off areas and how the minor characters (both good and bad) finally gained closure. So it worked out...kind of

So...the question you need to ask yourself is - What are you trying to achieve with the scene ? Are you trying to show the fate of the mid boss ? or are you trying to show the escape as exciting ? or something else...

You can always work out options for your scenario - for e.g. if you are trying to show the fate of the mid boss, you can have him crop up in the middle of the final fight and end him there by hero (or even the villain)...if you want to show an exciting escape, you can drop the mid-boss and have the heroes attempt a new daring exit because the entryway has collapsed behind them...there is no dearth of alternatives...so first work out what you want to convey with the scene and then work towards that.

Remember, If you are not enjoying the scene...there is no chance that your readers will either.

Load Full (0)