bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How should these be formatted? In quotes or italics? I have a dilemma here and I hope any one of you can help me with this: I have been using double quotation marks for dialogues and italics - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I have a dilemma here and I hope any one of you can help me with this: I have been using double quotation marks for dialogues and italics for internal dialogues but I have no idea how to categorise the sentences below. Is there a correct way to format the emboldened words or is it simply a matter of preference?

The class chirped yes in reply.
He gulped nervously when he caught a soft come in, feeling chills run down his spine once again as butterflies simultaneously performed another set of dance routine inside his stomach.

I would like some variation in my writing so I am trying to avoid using the standard dialogue formatting (i.e. "Yes," the class chirped in reply.). Feel free to give other suggestions that can introduce variety too.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pope4766717

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

What you have written above is external speech so both should go inside quotation marks.

If you're looking to alter your writing so you don't have "Yes," the class chirped you could always try remove the speech altogether while still having the same results.

The class all replied in the positive, sounding almost chirpy.
He gulped nervously as the soft voice beckoned him into the room, feeling chills.....

Or however you want to put it in your own words.

Load Full (0)