bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Best Resources for Improving your craft? The number one reason I unsubscribe from writer's newsletters is negative email headlines like Stop Procrastinating and Finally, You Can Finish Your Novel - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

The number one reason I unsubscribe from writer's newsletters is negative email headlines like Stop Procrastinating and Finally, You Can Finish Your Novel and 10 tips to focus better and finish in 2016 Why are there so many negative assumptions all the time?

I get it that there are a lot of people who live in a world where they can't seem to finish something but what about those of us who are finishing but still need to learn more?

So what are your favorite resources for writers that assume we're actually writing?

I usually sign up for marketing, formatting and plotting tips, not to be shamed as if I were unproductive. I just hit publish on my third book this month (they weren't all started this month) and I'm looking for resources for active writers. I write about 5000 words per day.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

The Writing Excuses podcast offers a lot of tips and discussion on specific aspects of the writing craft. It's mainly geared towards writers of sci-fi/fantasy, but includes plenty of advice that is general enough to be useful to writers of any genre.

There are 11 (and counting) seasons' worth of podcasts at this point, so if you hunt around you will almost definitely find some great pointers on craft.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Other people
Feedback, collaborations, challenges with other writers - some practical ways to improve your craft technically. You may be writing a novel, but challenging a writer friend to an unrelated exercise (ie short surreal story, dialogue, manifesto) each day will have a lot of benefits.

Thoughtful articulate people will illuminate how your stuff reads to others, which can steer you back towards your goal. Most writers I know work in a vacuum. The ones who share their work for ideas and criticism throughout the process write at a higher level, and are more frequently published.

"Politics and the English Language"
Orwell's ideas for improving writing in this short essay are very practical. If you create a checklist of his ideas, and apply them to a piece of writing, it will undoubtedly improve. I love his ideas on clarity.

Load Full (0)