bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Word for a Female Teenager? I am writing a book about a teenage girl. In one line, I am saying that she saw another female. When I say... she saw another girl I think saying girl will - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I am writing a book about a teenage girl. In one line, I am saying that she saw another female. When I say...

she saw another girl

I think saying girl will make her sound like a child rather than a teenager (aged 15) and simply saying woman makes her seem more mature and like a woman in her 20's or older.

But saying...

a teenage girl that was of an age similar to her

seems like over doing it and too many common words. Any suggestions?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

In regards to your first example, if you establish beforehand that the protagonist is a teenager, the reader isn't liable to assume that the other girl is a child because of the another preceding the girl in the sentence. Putting another girl is enough for the reader to gather that this other chick is also a teen girl, because she is directly compared to the protagonist, and also is not described as little, or small, etc.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Your best bet in this scenario will simply be to prevent the reader from forming any false impressions. You can do this by correcting him immediately after the word.

She saw another girl, about fifteen years old.

You can use either girl or woman; be sure to use the word that you would use to describe the viewer.

Load Full (0)