bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: As a writer, should I be upset because I couldn't think of an idea? I've just been struggling recently with this doubt that I could never think of ideas I've seen written on my own. If that - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Absolute originality is a myth. Everything that can be written has its roots in something that was written before. Unless you have spent your entire life isolated from the works of every writer who ever lived, your works will parallel and build upon everything you have read.

Absolute originality is also unavoidable. No idea is so simple or obvious that it can't become original and unique just by being spoken in your voice or written in your style. You couldn't exactly clone the writing of another if you tried, so stop worrying about doing it by accident.

Original ideas are in limited supply. The big, story sized ones have each been beaten into the ground by thousands of authors who chose them before you came along. Choose any one of them and then add originality through your characters, their thoughts and through the perspective of your POV character or narrator.

Tell an old story in new way and the story is no longer old.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bryan361

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best