bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it possible to outline a dual plot novel using the "Snowflake Method" or other method? I am interested in learning the Snowflake Method to outline a novel. Question is: I'd like to write - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It sounds to me that you are effectively describing two stories told in parallel with one story being effected by the other. As the effect is one way (in your description) what you really have is a pair of stories one being the sequel to the other.

Dual plot aka dual narrative is probably about the right label. To be honest don't be over concerned with what the technique you are using is called so much as how well ou apply it.

Although I do not use the snowflake method (as such), knowing that you have two stories might make it easier to see how one fits with the other.

You might want to plan two entire 3-act stories or treat it as one long six act story which you will fold back into itself (1 & 4, 2 & 5, 3 & 6) to tell a single 3-act story (with two narratives). Whichever way you do it, you will want to plan the past and the future at the same time. Although in the narrative the past affects the future but not the other way around this is not the case in planning a story. At the planning stage if the motivation does not fit with the outcome there is nothing stopping you working backwards to change the source of the motivation so for you as a plotter the future can indeed effect the past.

So while in the form you want to present the story it might seem like two plots at once what you have is really not so different from one plot with flash forwards/backs.

Other than being mindful of any act structure (1 & 4, 2 & 5, 3 & 6), any technique you would use to plan a single plot would, therefore, apply to this plot too.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Barnes643

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best