bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Should I layout my academic paper in one or two columns? Many scientists obtain papers in electronic format and read them on a computer, tablet, or mobile phone screen. In print, a two column - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Many scientists obtain papers in electronic format and read them on a computer, tablet, or mobile phone screen. In print, a two column layout looks great and is easier to read than a broad single column, but on any electronic device navigating over two columns is difficult and irritating.

So when I layout my own paper, should I lay it out in one or two columns?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Publishers have traditionally used 2 column layout for printed articles. These have then been turned into pdfs.

Okay, nowadays, some things only appear electronically. However, you, me and most of the rest of the world find them hard to read even if using a large computer screen. Reading them on things like phones is difficult.

Therefore it makes sense to lay out your work in the most readable form. Why you would publish it in two columns is beyond me. Make it easy for the reader and then they are more likely to read, and cite, your work.

In answer to a comment: there are various pdf editors. However, I haven't found one that will accurately edit a pdf it didn't create unless the layout is very simple e.g. no header or footer, no page number, no title, only one column, etc. I usually find it is quicker to turn them into text and re-format, or just re-type the whole thing (something I do quite regularly).

Load Full (0)