bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can you use third person limited in a story that begins before the MC is born? I'm writing a story which starts with the birth of the MC; the scene just shows the parents talking with the - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm writing a story which starts with the birth of the MC; the scene just shows the parents talking with the doctor. The MC enters the picture in third person limited in the following scene (and the POV continues throughout the story).

Is this still third person limited? Or it's third person omniscient at first and then I have to change the POV to third person limited with a scene break?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Vandalay250

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I would start the story in the third person "cinematic" (no head-dipping), and then switch to the third person limited after a scene or chapter break, just as you plan.

Third person omniscient will work for the beginning, too, but is arguably harder to make sound natural than any other flavors of that POV, this is why it is relatively less popular in modern writing.

Writers do switch POV within one scene more often than not—I am not a fan of that technique—it is eventually a matter of style and personal preference.

Load Full (0)