bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Options for point of view in a story At first I was going to tell my story told from my main character's point of view, but now I'm wondering if I should make it coming from the point - selfpublishingguru.com

10.06% popularity

At first I was going to tell my story told from my main character's point of view, but now I'm wondering if I should make it coming from the point of view of a third-person narrator.

I wanted the main character to display her thoughts and emotions to the reader, but I also wanted the reader to experience scenes with other characters without the main character knowing. The only way I can think to do this is to have it come from a third-person narrative point of view. What are my options?

Load Full (5)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

5 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I do the same thing as you, there's a simple solution. When you want to change viewpoints, just do.
----(character)----
and then everyone knows that it's from that characters perspective

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Mark Baker has a great answer, but to add.

Chapters, sections and paragraphs can be used to jump between POV, and the narrators. I personally think that these can be used, but there is a risk of a mess. Chapters are fairly easy jumping points, because those are the most concrete. The readers accept time jumps and completely different scenes, when the chapter is changed. They are low risk place to make such jumps. With more careful planning you can go deeper to the levels of text, possibly even to within sentence jumps.

"STOP", but the enemies do not stop; because they already surrounded him, which he was not aware.

Such sentence makes sense, but it is tricky to make an easily understood story written this way.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

It seems to me like you want to assemble your story from the perspective of each player. Rather like if someone were to have access to the diaries or personal notes from each of them? If so, then there isn't any need for an omniscient narrative voice — correct?

If you want to present the story from the confines of multiple, limited perspectives, then it is best to have strong breaks between those perspectives. You will probably want them on separate pages, and you may wish to consider the judicious use of headers which convey or confirm the identity of the proceeding perspective. Something like a prefix or suffix to the chapter titles, if you are naming chapters, and if you can do so in a way which doesn't degenerate into background noise.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Why not go with third person semi-omniscient? That makes jumping from characters much easier and you can still have their thoughts etc. I prefer reading this but it also depends on your audience and your purpose.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

It's perfectly okay to have multiple viewpoint characters in a single story, as long as readers always know whose viewpoint they're in.

The safest way approach is to use only one viewpoint character within each scene. If you want a new viewpoint character, finish the current scene, and start a new scene with a new viewpoint character.

The benefit of switching scenes is that readers understand that each scene break represents a change of some kind (to a new time, place, or viewpoint character).

Make sure you start each scene by making it clear to the reader which viewpoint they're in.

It is possible to switch viewpoint characters within a scene. But it's very easy to confuse readers. For this to work, you have to be very good at helping the reader follow the viewpoint switches. It's rare for writers to do this well.

Load Full (0)