bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Recommend binding for book to stay open I would like to self-publish a book with a binding that allows for the book to stay open if you put it down on a desk. What would be an affordable - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I would like to self-publish a book with a binding that allows for the book to stay open if you put it down on a desk. What would be an affordable way of accomplishing this?

Perhaps you need to know the size of the book in order to answer this. 8 by 11 would be too big, but the standard paperback would be too small.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kevin153

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Generally there is one called Perfect Bound which is a lay flat binding.

CreateSpace.com (selfpublishing arm of Amazon) uses this and I've had good results with those books laying flat and being longlasting.
I write technical books and my book Launch Your Android App - amazon link is published by CreateSpace and available in that format and it does indeed lie flat.
See more about Perfect Bound binding at createspace : forums.createspace.com/en/community/thread/7810
Also to see the numerous sizes that you can publish your book in at CreateSpace, check out : www.createspace.com/Products/Book/InteriorPDF.jsp?sitesearch_query=interior%20sizes&sitesearch_type=SITE
O'Reilly Technical books uses a special version of Perfect Bound called RepKover, which they believe makes the books lie flat even better.
See more at: www.oreilly.com/pub/pr/1149

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

You don't really have many options, I think. If you print a book then when it comes out of the printer, the pages will want to close unless it has gone through a lot of wear and tear in the past. What I'd try, for keeping the book open, would be Wire Bindings or Wire-O Bindings, as others call them. They sound about right for the dimensions of your book, but they won't really assist in making it look like a 'book'. They'll more make it look like an organiser or notebook, so be warned of that.

Off the top of my head, they're the only things that can keep the book open.

Load Full (0)