bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Issues with Scene/Sequel model I'm using the Scene/Sequel model to go from an informal outline of my novel to a list of scenes. In summary, during a Scene the POV Character has a Goal, encounters - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I also follow the Scene Sequel structure, and have encountered the same issues as you describe. This is how I've dealt with it.

The first thing I did was rename them Heads and Tails, because I found the original terminology so awkward.

So a head is where there is a goal, conflict and disaster, and a tail is where there is the reaction, dilemma, decision.

Secondly, I decided that heads and tails do not necessarily need to exactly line up with scenes. A Tail might be no more than a few sentences at the end of a scene. Also, a single Head might go on for several scenes, as the protagonist keeps meeting more and more obstacles before the final disaster.

Thirdly - don't forget that sometimes you might have an 'incident' this is a scene where the protagonist wants to do something, and they do it. No disaster.

Regarding your example in particular, it doesn't sound like the person deciding to be resigned to dying quite fits in any case. I've broken it down a bit more and it looks like this to me:

Disaster - will be executed
Reaction - resignation
Dilemma - fight back or just let it happen
Decision (goal) - just let it happen

(by the way, this isn't a great goal because it's not pro-active, but let's ignore that for now)

Goal - allow self to be executed
Conflict - superior changes mind

Which means we're currently about to see the protagonist's disaster - which must be 'not being executed' in order to thwart their goal. It's a bit odd, but that's how it follows through to me...

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best