bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Reasons to use "red herrings"? I don't see any analytical literature about the usefulness of red herrings as a TV trope. What are some reasons to use them? I'm assuming there's more to it - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I don't see any analytical literature about the usefulness of red herrings as a TV trope. What are some reasons to use them? I'm assuming there's more to it than just bored writers trying to amuse themselves to the detriment of the reader.

The one I can think of is - generally you build anticipation in a plot by making the viewer/reader subconsciously establish a pattern through repeated exposure to consistent cause and effect. Then to evoke a dramatic / emotional shock you mislead them by giving a cause that fails to provide the anticipated effect. Moreover, you leave the viewer anxious about the climax by sewing a seed of doubt that the effect is not a foregone conclusion.

Is this the basic intention? Or are their others?

Example: I create a highlights video of soccer matches where my favorite team keeps starting a match badly conceding goals, but always makes a comeback and wins each game. Then just as it's getting predictable, you throw a red herring in by showing highlights of a match where they fail to make a comeback and the viewer is jarred with disappointment. Subsequent match highlights will then keep the viewer on edge by not knowing which way the next one will go.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cofer669

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

For me, there is a right way and a wrong way to include red herrings or twists in a story.

The wrong way

Suddenly subvert the reader's expectations with a plot twist AKA "the rug-pull".

Interesting, I would consider that the example given above (the film "The Usual Suspects") is an example of a bad twist. Very few (if any) details in the 'reveal' sequence at the end are actually noticeable by viewers during the course of the movie.

The right way

Developing the plot such that multiple endings are plausible before the red herrings are removed and the reader is left with the 'real' ending.

Right now, I can't think of a better example than the first "Mission Impossible" movie with Tom Cruise. As the film progresses and the protagonist reveals more information, he re-visits his memories to theorise and subsequently eliminate different possibilities.

EDIT: To more directly address the question: building up multiple plausible endings before picking one is incredibly satisfying to read and write. Savvy readers may attempt to guess the correct ending and feel rewarded and satisfied by the story's conclusion. Other readers will just enjoy the ride, but will still greatly appreciate how the set of possible endings will narrow as the story approaches the end.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

To expand on @Alexander 's answer...

To me a red herring has always been a clue that diverts the reader's attention. It's most popular, I believe, in detective stories, where the red herring will point at one person as the criminal only to have the real criminal revealed later on. Thus, it makes the outcome less predictable. Before learning of the correct term for the technique, I use to think of it as "throwing sand to the readers's eyes" (literal translation of a Portuguese saying) because the objective was to keep the reader from seeing the (fictional) 'reality'.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

If I understand you right, you describe a plot progression as "normal outcome - red herring - unexpected outcome". I see "red herring" as a very popular plot device without any "normal outcome" prelude. For example, the movie "Usual Suspects" is one big red herring.

Load Full (0)