bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What is better for prose: symmetry or simplicity? Here's an example: Mary had never concealed Marcos as though he were an (ugly) scar. No, far from that. She'd always exhibited him around - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Generally speaking, simplicity and clarity come first as a priorities in writing, especially narrative prose.

I personally love symmetry, redundancy and I naturally use plenty of adjectives for each noun I write. Sometimes even couples of adjectives (ugly and nasty scar, meek and pretty face, etc.). But I love it - that doesn't mean it always works, or that it's necessary.

So the question you ask is: does it work? Is it necessary? Are you going for rhythm and musicality, or for effectiveness? If stylistic symmetry has a purpose in your story (your character is a perfectionist, an abstract thinker, an obsessive, etc.) then make your prose sound like that. If redundant descriptions make sense in your prose (ugliness is a feature trait and you need to stress it out as much as you can) then make your prose sound like that.

If you don't need it other than "it just sounds right", then take it out. Your editor will in any case, I guess ;)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Pierce369

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best