logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : How to properly reference a figure or table from another paper in APA style without copying the image? I just want to mention a picture/table in my text in APA style, without using the image

Sarah872 @Sarah872

Posted in: #AcademicWriting #Apa #Citations #Punctuation

I just want to mention a picture/table in my text in APA style, without using the image in my work.

I think of something similar as follows:

Page and Brim (2016) show in Figure 99 "Description of Figure" that ...

What different ways of mentioning figures/tables are allowed in APA style?

Are the following for example allowed:

Page and Brim (2016) show in Figure 99 "Description of Figure" that ...
Figure 99: "Description of Figure" in/of? Page and Brim (2016) shows ...
Figure 99: "Description of Figure" contained in? Page and Brim (2016) shows ...
The structure is illustrated in Figure 99: Description of Figure (Page & Brim, 2016).
Figure 99: "Description of Figure" (Page & Brim, 2016) illustrates ...

And how about the quote symbols ("...") for the title of the image, should they be used, or should this text be italic? One could get confused whether the number of a figure references a figure within this paper or not, right? Should a colon (":") be used?

Are there other allowed ways?

I have literally no clue what is right and I could not find any specific information about that in the web.

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Goswami879

Goswami879 @Goswami879

I suggest you reference the paper with only the specific page number. Typically, there is no need for specifically referencing a Figure. That way, you can describe what it is from that figure that you want your readers to know, and readers that want to find that information will find it on the page you reference.

Page and Brim (2016, p. 123) show that/how...

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme