bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How many rewrites should a writer expect for a novel? "By the time I am nearing the end of a story, the first part will have been reread and altered and corrected at least one hundred - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

"By the time I am nearing the end of a story, the first part will have been reread and altered and corrected at least one hundred and fifty times. I am suspicious of both facility and speed. Good writing is essentially rewriting. I am positive of this." — Roald Dahl

Well, I am not quite this bad but it does have me wondering about how many times a novel is generally rewritten until it is suitable for submitting. This author even has a formula:

vomit draft - let it fly baby
Story arc pass - main story subplots - overall structure
MC & supporting character arcs - including character development & embellishment
grammar/punctuation pass & bad habit pass (adverbs/tense/sentence variety/word choice)

Hard copy read - make corrections
Kindle read - make corrections

OUT TO BETAS

Including Beta notes pass
Holistic read - wearing my audience hat
Corrections from Holistic read

QUERY TIME

But another writer cautions:

Eventually, redrafting will just spoil the novel - there is a danger that the story you set out to write ends up so ‘surgically’ enhanced that it no longer resembles the original story – the intrinsic core of the story has been lost.

There are entire blogs dedicated to this question.
Frankly, dozens of times seems overdone. Perfect isn't feasible unless you are this blogger.
But dozens isn't practical, especially given my advanced age. Aside from as many as it takes to find a publisher, does any one know the MEAN number of drafts for a novel?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bethany377

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

If you are in writing to make money, it doesn't pay to rewrite. If you rewrite half as much you can output twice as many books per unit of time.

Now, some people will play the "quality" card. But quality of writing comes from talent, not from rewriting. Iron won't become steel no matter how much you pound at it.

The only time it makes rational sense to rewrite is if your work derailed from your original idea halfway through and you want to rewrite the first act to match the second and third acts. In this case, you can minimize waste by keeping the discarded half so you can write an appropriate ending later and release another book.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I don't think there can be an answer for this. I don't think you can even have an answer for a given writer. Mercedes Lackey rewrote her first trilogy seventeen times, but now she churns out books every year or so. (whether they are any good is a different question.) Barbara Cartland wrote over 700 books in her lifetime, Isaac Asimov over 500 in his, and George R.R. Martin has been struggling with Winds of Winter since the Truman administration.

A first book or series is going to go through many cycles. Once you get better at writing and editing, and particularly if you're writing a series with familiar characters, you will likely go much faster and need fewer rounds. You can track your own work, but I think it should be only for your own benchmarking purposes. The book is done when it's done, and not before.

Load Full (0)