bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Are plot twists always necessary for a good story? In the story I'm writing, the protagonist writes a representational story about himself and about the fulfillment of his wish impossible in - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Nothing is 'always necessary' in writing.

It's about what you want to write, and - if it's important to you - what people want to read. And people are strange and various, so you will probably find someone who will enjoy reading what you've written, whatever it is.

Also, there will probably be a good deal of people who will like it for the fact that it doesn't follow conventions, that they may be tired of.

However, having said that, most stories have twists for a reason - and that's because the majority of people will find them more interesting and satisfying.

I don't think it's a problem if the goal is achieved, though the character finding out that what they wanted all along isn't actually what's going to make them happy is often key to a fulfilling story.

As you say, it's the journey and the challenges on the way that make the story.

In fact, there are many stories where the original story goal is achieved. The only problem is if the protagonist achieves everything they set out to do without any conflict or obstacles appearing at all. That might feel a bit odd.

Again, going back to your question, I think you can do anything if you do it with enough mastery, so not having plot twists is certainly possible in a good story. Just more difficult to pull off.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best