bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is touch typing skill important for being a good writer? Yes, I know - it is important. But my question is: does it influence the speed only? Do "two finger typing" and "peek typing" eat - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I used to finger pick all the time. I also use to stare at the keyboard trying to type. Now, I touch type almost as fast as the thoughts enter my mind. Sometimes, I need to stop and edit the words because I screw up; but having spent 90% of my time at a PC for the last 10 years, I have learned how to type really really well. As Some pointed out, speed isn't always the optimal solution. You just need to type as fast as you can without it feeling like you are spending too much time trying to find the right key or being hindered having to think about what you are doing on the keyboard. This just takes practice, regardless of your typing methods. For the longest time, I needed to look at the keyboard. Now, I can virtually type blind. I can close my eyes and write this sentence without issues. I can look off at a piece of paper and type what it says without issues.

You just need to practice/type well enough so that typing no longer significantly hinders you from getting your ideas out and onto the PC. Some people type at 50 wpm. There are others like me who can type at 90+ wpm (with accuracy as I am sure someone will bring in that argument). To me, I think fast, a... hyper thinker. Everything I do is done quickly whether it is tests or typing, thinking, over-thinking. That's just who I am. Others enjoy the slow roll. The ability to take and type slowly so that their ideas are able to be constructed and reflected before they may get to the point of needing them to be typed. Neither are the right answer.

Regardless if you are writing a 2 page essay or a 400 page book, if you don't have the ideas in your head, the words won't come. Obviously if there are no words, you can take 10 minutes to write one word and you will still be stuck writing.

Being a good writer comes from what is between the ears, not attached to the wrists. Everyone has their own technique. Sara stated she uses 3 fingers to type. I have never seen someone type with just 3 fingers from each hand but that doesn't mean because she does it, she is a bad writer.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @BetL639

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best