bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Deciding the setting: real or invented? I'm preparing some material because I have the intention of writing a book. I'd do this in every type of work, but considering that I'm writing Crime - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

One thing I enjoy is seeing real cities in a fantasy world. Some argue that you have to be careful of how you portray the city in terms of local business but that isn't 100% accurate. Depending on how realistic you chose to be, you could just use the city name, even a little culture influence (NYC for example is a bit different than say Paris). This way you get both of creating and using an existing city. Think Gotham City in Batman only the roles are slightly reversed. It is modeled after Chicago though the city name and local businesses are all changed.

Just depends how realistic you want to be with it. Is the character walking down the street describing shops as they scan the scene? Might be better then to make up a city because you would have a hard time being able to explain that if you haven't seen it first hand. Yes we have google maps with street view but that doesn't provide the feel of the area like you could if you were familiar with it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @YK4692630

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best