bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Software for analyzing a manuscript? I would like to get a better picture of a manuscript I've written, especially in regards to word usage patterns and potentially overused terms. I'm curious - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I would like to get a better picture of a manuscript I've written, especially in regards to word usage patterns and potentially overused terms.
I'm curious whether anyone can recommend a document analysis tool.
Specifically, is there a program that takes a Microsoft Word document and produces a spreadsheet of all the words contained in the document and the number of times the word appears?
e.g.

cat 23
said 15
jumped 12
dog 7

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kristi637

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Scrivener, a program by literature and latte, will help with this. This is just one of the features--it's super-advanced and a complete lifesaver for anyone writing anything. I use it for scripts and novels, and sometimes just for its organization and fullscreen for my papers. It's amazing. Free trial lasts a while, but it's always in beta so you can usually get it w/o paying :)
scrivener: literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Bing search for word frequency gets these two promising programs. Not for Word documents, but that's not a huge problem since you can save as text or copy-paste.
wordfrequencycounter.com/
Another: www.primitivezone.com/primitive-word-counter.html
I'm actually writing a writing app for Windows now. It'd be pretty easy to add frequency in as a tool... Hmm.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The writing program yWriter has this function. yWriter is basically a downgraded version of Scrivener for Windows. It allows you to create multiple scenes and rearrange them easily. It will also analyze those scenes or the entire document for word usage, word goal, etc.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

This isn't precisely what you're looking for, but it's interesting:
www.wordle.net/

Load Full (0)