bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Short Story Outline Issues I am writing a short story that has very little action that focuses mainly on the main character's development. I have tried outlining some of the major interactions - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I believe some things that can help are:

Focus On Scenes

Stories are really scenes played out in front of the reader. This is really the show, don't tell axiom.

What Is Your Point?

I'm sure you have a point (theme) so go ahead and summarize that point. Maybe something like:

crime doesn't pay
people who own cats are the best people
shoes are an example of society's cruel overbearing pressure on people: go barefoot for freedom!

Okay, suppose you are going with the last theme.
Now, show me a scene where the main character who is trying to free people from their shoes in action.
What does he do? What does he say?

I hope he doesn't just sit around in an empty apartment barefoot, thinking about the oppressed people of the world all day.

What Do Scenes Do?

Scenes should:

show a point in action
move the story forward
place character farther behind his goals - this builds tension and keeps readers reading

Scene 1
Okay, so show your Anti-Shoe Hero and show him going to city hall and fighting for no-shoe laws to be placed in effect.
- Show main character get irate and get arrested (he's further behind)

Scene 2

He meets an ally in jail and they start a movement
he thinks he has a friend, but then learns the friend is a bit mentally off -- or is he?

You get the picture? Now move the story forward. You can outline the entire story like this if you keep the requirements for scenes in mind.

This is a way forward, instead of sitting and staring and thinking about what you might write.
Good luck.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best