bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How Can I Make a Great Plot? I'm a plotter, meaning I plan and develop my books before ever writing the first draft. I've given a good deal of thought to character, stakes, and the other - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

From my experience as an avid fanfiction reader, what makes me dislike a piece of fiction is the writing, not the plot in general.

I've seen many writers with amazing plot ideas, but without the writing skill to back it up. this is the biggest factor that makes me stop reading. Alternatively, i've seen quite generic plots, but because they were very well written i eagerly wait for more.

But, if you want a more interesting plot all i can say is that you take care in the perception of the events taking place and ensure that the series in which the events of the story happen make sense. complicated webs are interesting on a broad scale, but can be frustrating and confusing.

One last thing i want to mention (though i am not sure of its relevance to your question) is to ensure your characters are affected by the plot points in your story. The best feeling i've had when reading a piece of fiction was when near the end of the story, there was a brief mention on how the character had changed (from childish and acrobatic to more mature and serious). it was a very brief throwaway line, but it made me think back on how the character had grown and developed along the story, to the point where she was almost unrecognisable from the person she started off from. this change was not sudden, but caused by the many events within the story and it took until the very end before i even noticed how much she had changed. Simultaneously there have been instances where i have seen little to no character growth even along extremely personal plot points which i found extremely frustrating. therefore, in order for your plot points to impact the audience, you need to explore how the character is effected by it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Vandalay250

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best