bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How Can I Make a Great Plot? I'm a plotter, meaning I plan and develop my books before ever writing the first draft. I've given a good deal of thought to character, stakes, and the other - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

What constitutes a great plot?

Plots come in all shapes, so it is difficult to identify common specific characteristics, as they must forcefully be vague to apply to all manners of plots

First of all, plots must have economy. Whether the tale is nearly plotless or has so many threads it's labyrinthical, the author must find exactly what is too much or too little. I'm currently reading a book which has almost no plot and it works precisely because of its minimalistic approach, even if I usually prefer tales with several plot(s) and subplots.

Secondly, there must be balance between plot(s) and subplots, and between the various plot points. Each element must be stressed to the right point and one must tread carefully to make sure nothing overshines / undershines. Every element must work for itself and for all the others at the same time.

Thirdly, there must be cohesion. All the plot(s) and subplots must be perfectly connected, nothing to burst suddenly without the appropriate (subtle or not) foreshadowing or simply preparation of the 'stage' for the surprise burst. Every single plot point must join everything else seamlessly.

Not one of these three points take precedence, in my opinion, as they are all equally essential.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @LarsenBagley300

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best