bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Do light conditions affect writing? I've started to notice that I do a lot more writing at night, with my lights off. When I write with a light on, I get a slight migraine, and I'm not - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Unfortunately, migraines are a part of staring at a bright screen too long too often. This wasn't an issue for me 10 years ago because most of my time was spent doing high school sports and only used a PC on the weekend for home work. As I became more and more dependent on my PC for all my needs, my eyes started to deteriorate faster. With website conventions forming to the google and apple motto of a clean professional look, more websites are going to the white background. Top that off with looking at a white word document and having bright lights on around you, that strains the eyes quite a bit..... I wouldn't suggest completely turning off the lights though as the screen brightness would definitely hurt the eyes more but I do agree that darker rooms/night time is where I typically write my best.

A suggestion to help with the eyes is to get a pair of yellow computer glasses. The yellow tint helps offset the white screens you see on a PC for hours and creates less strain on the eyes. Less strain means less likely to get a headache. This would help you write longer and concentrate on something other than your head hurting. I would also suggest looking at the applications you use to switch to a dark theme. For example, my programming software I use comes with a white page. They have the option to change the theme so that the background turns black/dark grey and the colors of the words are changed so you can read them against a dark background. There are also plugins in Chrome like TLV that you can toggle on and off to make websites like SE have a black background for easier reading.

so yes, I do believe that the conditions of lighting affects how well/long we can focus before getting a headache and proper protection of the eyes should be taken for long term computer usage.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @YK4692630

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best