bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Should each book in the series be a similar length? A very short question. I'm writing a trilogy. Book 1 was 88,000 words, but book 2 is probably only going to be 75,000 words. That's over - selfpublishingguru.com

10.05% popularity

A very short question.
I'm writing a trilogy. Book 1 was 88,000 words, but book 2 is probably only going to be 75,000 words. That's over 10,000 words less.

Should I find a way to make it longer?
Is there anything to gain by making each book in a series a similar length?
Is 70-75,000 words okay for length? Too short compared to the first?

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sims2267584

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

"Similar", I'd say yes. But they don't have to be identical. I'd say 75,000 and 88,000 are in the same ballpark. If volume 1 was 80,000 words and volume 2 was 5,000 words you should think twice about that. That would almost surely be a totally different type of story. But 75,000 vs 88,000 ... no big deal.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Similar is a loose word, and you should treat it as such. Your second part is 85% of the first, and that's more than adequately similar. If the size difference is more than half/double then it's a reason to worry and reconsider the structure.

This can be done by expanding, moving either the "cut point" or transferring chapters between the two parts. Or potentially adding a bonus; a separate novelette with cameos of the main story, taking at a different time, included as an extra to the short part. Or just merging the two into a single volume.

Yeah, considering Mikhail Bulgakov's "Theatrical Novel"'s Part II is about 15 pages long, it would make absolutely no sense splitting it off into a separate volume. But if the size difference is of order of order of 70%, there is absolutely nothing to worry.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

No, it doesn't have to be.

Your example: 88k vs 75k. Those are already very similar word-counts. A reader will most likely not tell the difference when reading them.

My example: Alternate history / Historical Fiction. Part 1 will just be the intro that summarizes real history up to the point where alternate history begins. Part 1 exists to ground the story in context and familiarize my audience with a particular nation's culture (and history!) so that future decisions and plot will make sense.

Anyway, Part 1 will probably be 10k words or less which will prolly be 3 times shorter than any other Parts, maybe even 5 times or more. But it makes sense to divide the Parts this way and there is no way you would force yourself to extend the intro just for the sake of matching a future Part, which is prolly a more plot-filled Part.

(10k words is still a pretty long "intro" ofc.) But in my case it will work because the intro is sort of like a story all its own taking a relatively straight ascent to the climax where a major character gets shot. Then Part 2 begins.

Load Full (0)