bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Longer or shorter chapters? This is not a question asking if I should add more or less to my chapters in terms of descriptions and so on to make them longer or shorter. It's more about grouping - selfpublishingguru.com

10.05% popularity

This is not a question asking if I should add more or less to my chapters in terms of descriptions and so on to make them longer or shorter. It's more about grouping an already written story.

I'm trying to choose between having a larger amount of short chapters or a smaller amount of long chapters. I want to know which option works better for fiction writers, why, and how it affects potential readers when deciding whether or not to start the book and finish it.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

There are too many of these questions. Chapter length is governed by four elements: scenes, transitions, location switches, time breaks. I have a novel where the shortest chapter is 400 words - a character is falling asleep. Longest chapter is 11,000 words. Every character is in the same location. There is no opportunity to end the scene or switch to a parallel plot. All the characters are being held hostage. There is no opportunity to switch to another 'camera'.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

There is a third option, if it is too hard to decide between long and short. You could have long chapters, with breaks within the chapters. This is usually accomplished by having a larger space between two paragraphs and having a symbol (like a flower, sword, or whatever fits the story) separating the paragraphs. This gives a good point for the reader to take a break, if needed, without making the chapter feel too short.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Short chapters are less intimidating to young readers and provide good stopping points, which allow your spellbound readers to put the book down for the night and get some sleep.

Longer chapters visually promise a more complex, more immersive read, but also run the risk of dragging down the story pace to the point that the reader just gives up for good.

Both have their place. It just depends on what kind of story you have written and who you hope will read it.

Load Full (0)