bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How do i write a long book monologue? There is a point in a book I'm writing where a character relates a lengthy story about the inner struggles that she faced a couple years ago. Wouldn't - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

There is a point in a book I'm writing where a character relates a lengthy story about the inner struggles that she faced a couple years ago. Wouldn't it look a bit awkward if the entire thing was just one ginormous paragraph that opened and closed with quotation marks? It just seems unnatural, especially for a book. Is it possible to write a long monologue like that without the above issue?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Deb2945533

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Yes, it's possible to write a long monologue without it being awkward. Just because something is one long statement from a single character does not mean that it all has to be in one paragraph. You can separate ideas in the monologue (or organic pauses in speaking or however you want to do it) into multiple paragraphs; just

Do not close the paragraphs with quotation marks (until the monologue is finished)
Do begin every paragraph with quotation marks.

See this article and these questions from English Stack Exchange for more information.

Load Full (0)