bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How many metaphors? Some of the best books I read have a heap of metaphors, awesomely describing the characters' surroundings or the characters themselves. My creativity appears to be limited - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Some of the best books I read have a heap of metaphors, awesomely describing the characters' surroundings or the characters themselves. My creativity appears to be limited in metaphors. I want to avoid clichés, and I want to invent as many of my own metaphors as possible. But how many metaphors should I actually put in my novel?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Holmes449

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

@MarkBaker is absolutely correct. I'll add that metaphors occur in more than just sentence structure.

Even when you write in a way that doesn't include sentence-level metaphors and similes, your readers might find objects in your story that are metaphors for larger themes. Think of Moby Dick's white whale. The Great Gatsby's green light. A River Runs Through It's river.

So I guess my answer is this: Don't worry about it. Just write your story. Use your own voice. Metaphors might appear or might not, and it doesn't matter much either way.

Load Full (0)