bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Help! I have no 'cheese-meter'! Over the past few years, it has come to my attention that I lack the ability to identify cheese. And by cheese, I mean cheesy things in movies/books. I simply - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Definition

I think a good definition of cheesy is this:

Something that is low quality, amateur, but is trying really hard to be good.

It's a hard word to define for sure.

Avoidance

Beta Readers!

They're the holy grail. You should get beta readers to check your work, however, there are a number of measures you can take to help avoid cheesiness:

See what is cheesy. Look online to see what is seen as 'cheesy' and identify patterns. See if those show in your own work.
Avoid writing low-quality material with very basic ideas around them. Rather, try to create something more professional with greater depth and intrigue.

For example, something I read recently was about a wolf which could turn into a human. It was the most unprofessional, cheesy thing I had ever read and it was so cringeworthy I was fortunate not to have died. It was just so amateur, informal, and basic.

Conclusion

To be honest, I think that to increase your ability to detect cheese, the best advice is my first point. By looking at patterns of cheese and trying to notice them, you'll be able to identify what actually is cheesy.

I tasted cheese in my mouth while I wrote this answer.

I hope this helped you!!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gloria285

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best