bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Interractive, fourth wall styles . . . What do people think? I've set up my 1st person narrator as a particular type of character. She's the type of person who sits next you on a bus or - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I've set up my 1st person narrator as a particular type of character. She's the type of person who sits next you on a bus or a train. You make the mistake of being polite and exchange pleasantries. She then believes you and her are new 'besties' and proceeds to tell you her entire life story (including all the inappropriate bits).

This technique lends itself to the (do, while) method. e.g the character can be telling you the story whilst getting dressed for work. The getting dressed can take several chapters.

The fourth aspect is highlighted in a particular scene.

The character is having sex with her boyfriend. At the same time she's telling you (the reader)about her visit to the dermatologist. Her boyfriend notices she's distracted (because she's talking to you). He accuses her seeing somebody else - a huge argument ensues.

Does this style of story-telling off-putting?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Frith254

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Is this style of storytelling offputting? Yes. All styles of storytelling are offputting to somebody. For a given technique, there will be people who just plain don't like it, and won't be swayed. If you're planning to use the technique regardless, there's little point worrying about these people. If you want to please these people (i.e. attract these people as readers) and use this technique, you'll have to decide what you care about more, and make a choice.

A lot of people, however, keep a somewhat open mind about such things. They'll be willing to accept an unusual technique as long as it's worth their while, and especially if it feels like there's a reason for it. If the technique you use feels integral to the story, and helps to communicate things which would be less efficiently communicated without it, then it will feel in-some-way natural regardless of whether the reader is used to it. Even if it isn't integral to the story, if it's enough fun to read, that might not matter for a lot of people.

As for whether you should use it, that's up to you. It depends on your personal goals, preferences and preoccupations.

Load Full (0)