bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: In the digital age of Kindle and POD is a book ever finished? About five years ago I self-published a novella "The Spoils of War". In the middle there's a section where the MC is packed - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

My opinion is that once you've published, even on Kindle, it's done. Other than typos or a gross mistake like using the wrong character name by accident, you don't make changes.

Your story is your story. If you keep altering it, there's never a final edition. Your readers will never know if they have the "right" version. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was printed with many errors, which Tolkien kept trying to fix in each subsequent edition and printing and publisher, and new mistakes would creep in. It was a nightmare trying to reconcile everything, and even now I'm not sure if the latest version is "right."

And look at George Lucas's constant meddling with the original Star Wars trilogy. Adding in whole scenes? Jabba wandering around on his own? Han shooting first? Hayden Christensen at the end of ROTJ? Most people complained, and now you have to specify which version of the trilogy you want. The original theatrical release? The Special Edition? The fan-cut Despecialized Editions, which have better effects but removed the heresies like Hayden? It's an absolute mess.

Many authors regret some of their choices in hindsight. Learn from it and move on. Make the next book better.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Carla500

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best