bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to make distinguishing characters who have almost the exact same traits? I have a problem. I have 2 main characters, A and B, who have pretty much the exact same personality traits. The - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I write historical fiction too, so I understand what you're dealing with.

I'd suggest focusing on small things, particularly emotional ones.

They may be passionate but that passion may reveal itself in different forms. One can be so passionate, he forgets to eat, while the other doesn't.

More than focusing on general traits, focus on emotions. One may have a fear or insecurity driving him, or just poking him every now and then, while the other has a different fear or insecurity (one may fear old age and its dimwitness while the other may fear becoming crippled and unable to be independent).

For these small things, look at events that they witnessed as children and teenagers, both within the family and within their hometown. If nothing is written about it, imagine something. If there was in fact a war, then imagine that A witnessed the return of their neighbour as a sadly dependent cripple. Or maybe the dates show B got to meet his great-great-grandfather, who died when B was only six. Now imagine the old gentleman had a bad case of dementia that deeply unsettled the young B.

The key is to go beyond the general traits and get to the one (or two) very specific loves and fears that either spur the character on or freeze them from acting.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Rivera824

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best